Monday, November 15, 2010

The Unidentified by Rae Mariz

It sounds so grab to go to school in a mall. But what would you say if your every move is watched by the marketing executives that run the school? In Rae Mariz's The Unidentified, there is no funding for schools, so a group of corporations are happy to run them in order to get the inside track on trends of music, fashion and more.

Katey, who goes by Kid, is getting average grades, average hits on her profile and has just a few followers on her intouch. At this rate she is never going to be branded and receive all of the perks of being a trendsetter and worshiped by the other teens. Really though, she isn't certain that she even cares.

Things change when a stunt takes place in the lunchroom. In a simulated suicide, a dummy is pushed over the balcony. The note pinned to it says, "UNIDENTIFIED. CHOOSE YOUR SUICIDE." Kid is stunned, shaken and wonders what in the Google this is all about, but no one else seems to care. She is now driven to find out who the Unidentified are and what they are trying to say.

This novel is very much in the vein of Cory Doctorow's books and stories. Though fashion and popularity are a big part of this book, there is a lot here for boys, including the technology of the near dystopian future, the rebellion against the marketers and strong male characters like the daring Mikey and the mysterious leader of the Unidentified.

This was an incredibly intriguing book and will appeal to those who enjoyed Jennifer Government by Max Barry, Rash by Pete Hautman and anything by Cory Doctorow.

7 comments :

Helen's Book Blog said...

Thank you for the review; I hadn't heard of this book. I've added it to my "to buy for the library" list

Kip said...

I hope people try it. I really enjoyed it and would like more books this like.

bibliophile brouhaha said...

I just read and reviewed this book, too - I liked it a lot!

-Linds

BookChic said...

I have this in my TBR pile and it sounds really interesting! Great review!

Unknown said...

This is the second review of The Unidentified that I've read, and I CAN"T WAIT to read the real thing! Your review gave slightly different information and got me even more interested... Thanks!

Sarah Stevenson said...

Your description makes it sound a bit like Scott Westerfeld's EXTRAS, too, which I also enjoyed. I'll have to look for this one. I can't resist a good dystopian.

Ms. Yingling said...

One of my most pervasive and enduring teaching nightmares is teaching on the concourse of the Southern Park Mall! Always Latin. I have to read this book, but I know I will have the nightmares again!